‘How to Get Away with Murder’ actor Charlie Weber stars on the cover of our April/May 2018.
A message from our Publisher/ Editor-in-Chief Ronald Liem
Last year was a momentous time for DAMAN, as the magazine reached a critical milestone: the first 10 years. For sure, 2017 was a year where I was brought back to the very beginning, to the early struggles of establishing the magazine and the years of hard work to bring the brand to where it is today. And then, of course, my mind was drawn to what comes next: The next ten years, or DAMAN’s teenage years, if you will.
Will there be changes ahead for the magazine? Of course! Especially when I look at how DAMAN has grown more and more into a multimedia experience that reaches across mediums and across generations. And I also note in what ways DAMAN can become a voice to inspire and encourage.
As always, I see these goals reflected in the magazine’s content. We have two returning faces this time: Charlie Weber on the cover and Tara Basro as our newest DAMAN Darling. It’s always nice to touch base with the figures we’ve featured before and learn how they’ve grown. At the same time, it’s also satisfying to look new faces which we will undoubtedly see more of in the years to come. Hence our “Six Rising Stars” feature. And then we also have the likes of Ben Lawson and Jay Hayden, whose stories remind me how media in its myriad forms—no matter how superficial it might seem at a glance—has real power to help people grow. This might perhaps come through something as simple as teaching someone find confidence in the way they appear or by showcasing role models that anyone can aspire to emulate in real life.
I would like to invite you to enjoy the new issue of DAMAN and encourage you to explore what we have beyond the pages —from our social media posts and our online videos to our collaborative projects and beyond. And, of course, do look forward to exciting changes to come as DAMAN matures even further.
Here’s what you can find in the new issue of DA MAN April/May 2018:
- The Rising Stars – For our 11th anniversary issue we gather six of the best new talents who have proven that they have something more to offer than what meets the eye.
- In the Name of Art – DA MAN catches up with Tara Basro in her second appearance in the magazine to talk about horror, the movie industry and acting on stage for the first time.
- A Woman’s Touch – Dichen Lachman talks about the depths of hit Netflix series “Altered Carbon,” powerful women characters in the sci-fi genre and more.
- Designated Storyteller – A chat with Australian actor Ben Lawson on how art can, and does, help us all evolve.
- Playing With Fire – We chat with Jay Hayden, who’s at the heart of “Station 19” about his new show, acting in general and family life.
- Feed Your Appetite – Dig into the season’s jovial mood. Rethink your casual menswear game with vivid colors and prints.
- Electric Dreams – In tune with Louis Vuitton’s travel DNA, the house goes on a colorful adventure for Spring/ Summer 2018.
- Denim Fever – The denim-on-denim trend can be a tricky beast, but with the right attitude, the look is a true classic and hot to boot.
- Graffiti Bridge – Playful patterns and prints, along with dashes of bold colors, all come together to as statements of individuality.