One of our style icons David Beckham stole the show at the Royal Wedding. Arriving in Kim Jones’s very first creation since talking the helm at Dior Homme, Mr. Posh Spice looked nothing short of polished in his morning coat.
Haircut is on point. Beard is flawless. And that dove grey on charcoal grey color combo is immaculate.
But the key trick to David Beckham stealing the show at the Royal Wedding is the morning coat. We don’t get to see people wearing this coat in Asia, but it pays to know.
What is a morning coat?
The morning coat, with a tail, is the most famous ‘formal day dress’. The look usually consists chiefly of a morning coat, waistcoat, and (striped) trousers.
Also called as morning dress or morning suit, it is a less formal male attire of remarkable English elegance. The coat has a curving line from the front of the body to the back. It is most appropriate for daytime races and summer wedding.
- Pair it with a top hat and gloves
- Boutonnière, if not a pocket square
- Have a pocket watch (like how David Beckham did it at the Royal Wedding)
- Opt for tonal dressing
- Wear it to day occasions
- (If you want to up the ante) bring a cane or umbrella
- Wear clashing morning coat and waistcoats
- Accessorize with over the top neckties (unless you’re Elton John)
- Wear a pair of patent leather shoes
- Leave your face unkempt
- Wear loose or baggy suit —fit is key
- Be anything David Beckham is not at the Royal Wedding
SHARE THIS ARTICLE